Job Title: Feast Coordinator (part time role)
Organisation: West Norwood Feast
West Norwood Feast is a people-powered market that takes place on the first Sunday of the month from April through to December. We have been running successfully for nine years, and have been recognised locally and across London for our innovative community-based work.
The market is run by volunteers with the assistance of the paid coordinator, and aims to bring together a fun and eclectic mix of traders, entertainment, community and ‘green’ stalls, as well as free children’s activities. Feast is largely self-funding through income generated from the market stalls. We are strongly rooted in the local community, with links to West Norwood businesses, community groups, charities and residents. We try to adopt an engaging and inclusive approach to our work, driven by our aim of “making West Norwood an even better place to live”.
Feast takes a winter break during January, February and March – a period of review, planning and preparation for the first Feast of our tenth year on Sunday 5 April 2020. This is also paid time for the coordinator.
The person we are looking for will be:
- An excellent and inspiring communicator to a wide range of people
- Someone who has experience of and enjoys working with volunteers, motivating them and delegating tasks to them
- An efficient and energetic organiser, numerate, with project planning and crisis management skills
- Able to work in a flexible organisation without a corporate command structure
- Keen to contribute to the development of Feast, coming up with and recognising new ideas
- Committed to building and maintaining good relationships with the local community
Title: Feast Coordinator January – December 2020
Organisation: West Norwood Feast
Salary £15 an hour for an average 60 hours a month = approx. £11,700 per annum, payable monthly
- To be the first point of contact for anyone wishing to contact Feast, including key stakeholders such as Lambeth Council and funders or grant givers
- To be the central point of contact for any queries within the Feast volunteer team and to manage those accordingly.
- To support all marketing and communications activities, such as Feast website posts, e-newsletter, social media and the production of printed or published materials, and to ensure that the website is updated regularly and all communications are compliant with GDPR regulations. Experience of Mailchimp and WordPress an advantage.
- To make arrangements for weekly volunteer meetings (Tuesdays 6.30-8pm) and the monthly steering group meetings (mid month Wednesday 7-9pm) This involves sending out notices and ensuring volunteers are available for agenda setting, chairing and minute taking. To attend at least two of the weekly volunteer meetings each month, as well as the monthly steering group meeting.
- To support and motivate volunteers
- To maintain links with local community and business organisations
- To ensure that the physical market (i.e. equipment, layout) is in good repair and compliant with Lambeth Council regulations each month. This involves liaising with Lambeth Events team, volunteers and the market stall operator and making adjustments where necessary.
- To support volunteers in ensuring all Feast market traders are adequately licensed and hold the correct documentation to trade in Lambeth
- To be on site for each monthly market between 8am and 5pm to oversee stall set up and takedown, and to be on call for each monthly market from 7.30 am.
- To act as liaison for the market stall operator before, during and after each market. This includes informing the stall operator of all equipment needed before each market, communicating with them between markets to discuss any issues, and making sure they are compliant with market regulations both during set up and pack down, and with regards to paperwork.
- To be the first point of contact for any Council officers wishing to contact Feast. This will mainly include officers from Lambeth Events, Licensing and Parks teams.
- To attend meetings with Council officers when necessary, and to maintain a good level of open communication with the Council to ensure an effective and ongoing relationship.
- Support Feast volunteers in the planning and organisation of community outreach and non-income generating activities at the monthly Feasts
- To support Feast volunteers in their tasks related to running monthly Feasts
- To support the external hire of Feast equipment, including liaison with the stall operator who will deliver and set up the equipment, and invoicing the client
- To support the production and selling of Feast merchandise, including banking any takings
- If the coordinator cannot attend a Feast for any reason, to ensure that alternative arrangements have been made for a deputy to be available for 9 hours on the day to coordinate the Feast and carry out the detailed tasks listed on task sheet provided.
- To record all Feast income and expenditure, generating invoices and ensuring prompt payment of bills (using Clearbooks and Google Drive – training provided)
- To provide reports if required to any funders and attend any relevant meetings including steering groups
- To coordinate financial recording with Feast’s accountant and bookkeeper and relevant volunteers to enable the production of a monthly financial report for the steering group
- To maintain Feast’s internal document management systems (e.g. meeting agendas, minutes, contracts, licences etc), including hard copies of essential records
- Ensure all Feast day toolkits, children’s activity boxes and first aid kits are fully stocked for each Feast
- To ensure that the Feast paperwork is fully compliant with Lambeth Council regulations in preparation for monthly Feast This includes making sure that:
- all licenses (namely Events Licences, Premises Licences and Temporary Event Notices) are up to date and paid for.
- a full market risk assessment is completed at each Feast;
- the market insurance is up to date and paid for.
- Please send a short CV which addresses and skills and experience asked for, and a letter setting out why you are the right person for this role to email@example.com
- The closing date for applications is Monday 30 December 2019.
- We aim to hold interviews in the week beginning 13 January 2020. The person appointed will start work as soon as possible.